Thursday, February 19, 2009

for what it's worth: battle royale

Two songs. Two bands. ONE AMAZING BATTLE.

It's Sophie's Choice to say which of these songs I like more.



The first is the original, composed by Stephen Stills and performed by Buffalo Springfield. It was released in 1967 and rose on the charts. Now, this song is super well known. It's even in Forrest Gump, for Chrissakes. It seems to represent and summarize many people's general agitation during the sixties. Doesn't it always seem like it's used for the sixties scene in any movie? Well, that's because it works well. What a tried and true song.

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth



The Staple Singers decided to give it a go with a cover version. How badass is this? I love what they did with it. But Mavis Staples could pretty much sing me a Gawr song and I would somehow like it. I love the soul twist they add to this. All those beautiful lady voices saying "What a field day for the heat." I'm in love. The Staple Singers recorded this song on Epic, before they were signed with Stax and had their huge hit with "I'll Take You There." They were still a bit poppy during this time. Signing with Stax definitely led to the soul direction they are better known for.

The Staple Singers - For What It's Worth

Which one do you like more? And if you say neither, I will hurt you. If you say both, I might marry you.

2 comments:

Daddy-O said...

I only choose because it has been forced upon me. I hate to go against The Staples but I'm calling BS on this one (Buffalo Springfield...get it?). So there you have it. For what it's worth.

Marissa said...

I'm going with Paul's answer. But The Staples definitely put some groove into the song.