Wednesday, February 4, 2009

the day the music died

Look, I'm a day late on this. I chose to spend yesterday in reverence aka drinking medicine and talking with some ballers. DEAL WITH IT. But I thought about it. And I talked about it. So there.

As you should know, yesterday was the Day the Music Died. On February 3, 1959, a terrible plane crash claimed the lives of three amazing musicians: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P "The Big Bopper" Richardson.

The three were on tour traveling all over the Midwest. They were having tons of troubs with their tour bus, so Buddy suggested they charter a plane for the next gig. However, it was a tragic decision. The plane crashed early in the morning and all three died instantly, as well as the young pilot. I just think this is a super sad deal. Who knows what these guys could've done with their lives? In 1971, Don McLean wrote a song called "American Pie" (ever heard it? lolz) and coined this day "The Day The Music Died." Well, good thing it didn't really die out forever, but it definitely lost three tight dudes.



Oh, man. The Big Bopper is so tight. He is probably most famous for his song "Chantilly Lace" which supposedly my nephew loves. At least the beginning, anyway. Can I get family confirmation on this? The Big Bopper was from Texas (baller) and actually began his career as a songwriter. He wrote "White Lightning," which became the first big country hit for George Jones. He was only 28 when he died. Too young! He left behind a wife and child, and his son was born two months after his death. Fortch, his son has carried on the traditions of the tightness that makes The Big Bopper.



The story of Ritchie Valens is extra sad to me. He was only 17 when he died in the crash. I mean, damn. He made a lasting impression in his super short recording career. His hit "La Bamba" is still popular today, especially for me while in the shower. Can you believe this guy recorded a song in Spanish and had people fumbling over the words/enjoying it and loving life? I love this. I also like his song "Donna." Ritchie probably could've done a lot for music. I'm happy to report that Lou Diamond Phillips exposed Ritchie even more to the masses with his role in the movie La Bamba. LOLZ.



I love this tight dweeb. I mean, srsly. Buddy Holly was the only person who could pull off those glasses and still be a giant baller. Although those glasses are back in style, I guess. In fact, I want some. Buddy is pretty widely recognized as being a huge ass influence on early rock n roll. Like the others, he had a super short career before dying in the plane crash but it was an intense one. Can you believe he was only 22 and had already recorded some of the songs he did? Makes me feel like I've done nothing with my life. I'm 25 and I can claim answering some questions right at Pluckers trivia night and going to a Canadian emergency room. Not as cool.

Buddy was from Lubbock and I am proud to say that I have seen his grave! Little known fact: Buddy played the Apollo Theater in New York and won over the crowd. How baller is that?! I love Buddy's crazy hiccup singing. I'm sharing a sweet love song he wrote. This could be a lullably for a baby or something you listen to while driving to the post office. YOU DECIDE. Or maybe you can share it with your sweetheart.

I hope these guys are having a great time making music in the sky. You know that's a tight party up there.

Buddy Holly - Everyday

2 comments:

Daddy-O said...

Confirmed. Hellooo, baby!

Bucho said...

Yo, when's the next Plucker's Trivia Night? AMIRIGHT?!!