Saturday, December 6, 2008

tight person of the day: ann peebles



I really want us all to sit in a circle, hold hands, and listen to this song. Maybe we can even close our eyes and sway a little bit to the music. I might even throw in some cupcakes for us to enjoy! Say you will get on board with me.

Ann Peebles is super tight. Not only does she pose like she's taking her senior yearbook photo, she also sings like a badass. Some of you might be familiar with her voice because Missy Elliott sampled her song "I Can't Stand the Rain" in 1997. That was such a good year. I was a part of the Lamar Middle School Spirit Squad that year, which is like cheerleader wanna-bes. I had the tightest purple skirt but I really didn't look the part because I had giant tortoise shell glasses. And bad skin. And I was living in chubby town. WHAT'S CHANGED. Just kidding. Back on topic.

Ann recorded for Hi Records, out of Memphis. Many of her albums were produced by Willie Mitchell, who is also a huge badass and great musical arranger. He worked with Al Green quite a bit. I think he even did some work with My Morning Jacket at one point on their album It Still Moves, which has GREAT horns.

I hope you enjoy this song. The lyrics are simple, but the meaning is strong. This is totally a slow dance number right here. A real soulful slow dance.

Ann Peebles - I Still Love You

No comments: