Monday, November 17, 2008

tight person of the day: graham nash



I love Graham Nash. He has gotten me through me some tough times in life. And by tough times, I mean that time my Swiss Cake Roll fell on the ground as soon as I opened the package. I was really ready to eat it! But seriously, break-ups and shake-ups have come and gone, and Graham Nash has always been there. For these reasons, I have a special affection for him and his music. Most of you might know Graham from his stint in The Hollies, followed by his time spent in some joke of a band called CSNY. Sike nation! One of the best musical groups of all time.

Recently, Graham was on American Idol singing with one of those f-ups. Basically, my jaw dropped when I saw him come on stage. I couldn't have been more surprised. But then I realized how many people would not appreciate it as much as they should and I felt a little sad. Then I had another drink. Kidding!

My two favorite Graham Nash albums are Songs for Beginners (1971) and Wild Tales (1974). It's crazy to think that anything could top CSNY's amazing album Deja Vu, but then each of those tools came up with something that kind of did! Songs for Beginners features guest-starring roles from Rita Coolidge, a personal fave of mine, and Jerry Garcia. I think I was reborn during the song "I Used To Be A King." I'm dead serious. The song today is from Wild Tales, which is also a great album. I used to listen to the A side on vinyl when I was writing papers in college. I just kept getting up and putting the needle back and I would listen to that one side over and over again. Of course, I had trouble doing any actual school work so that might have been part of the problem.

I feel like Graham Nash is some weird ghost in some crazy old haunted house. But not the kind of ghost that would hurt you. More like one that would sit in a crazy tattered armchair with a ridiculously old guitar and make you listen to songs of the past. WHOA. I think I just wrote my thesis.

Graham Nash - Hey You (Looking At the Moon)

No comments: