Wednesday, November 5, 2008

tight person of the day: cat stevens



Cat Stevens is such an awesome name. I wish I knew the secret to choosing the most perfect stage name. I also wish this song didn't make me cry like a baby. But I don't give an f! It's the day after the election, so I'm allowed to continue welling up for weeks. What will make me well up with tears of laughter is that photo! Crotch shot! I'm also loving his wearing of a Texas tuxedo. Denim on denim!

This is obvi a pretty old picture of Cat Stevens, but from around the time the song I am sharing today was released. "The Wind" is off Cat's 1971 album Teaser and the Firecat, which is also a super tight name, and is pretty and simple and lovely. I want to bottle this song and make it a perfume to wear around. Then I can be all like, "Yes, I'm wearing the wind." People will freak!

These days, Cat goes by Yusuf Islam. He converted to Islam in 1977. He's been involved in a bit of controversy in various ways throughout the years, but it doesn't deter from his sweet songwriting. His songs are introspective and meaningful and are really perfect as the weather starts changing and Starbucks gets those red holiday cups again. I just totally ruined everything with the last part of that sentence. Don'tcaredon'tcaredon'tcare.

Cat Stevens - The Wind

2 comments:

Mrs. Graham said...

You've been channeling my musical past again. Moonshadow, Peace Train, Wild World, Morning Has Broken and many other Cat Stevens "hippie" songs were a big part of my childhood. Thanks for bringing back some great musical memories.
Tommie

Daddy-O said...

This blog has featured a lot of cats but none cooler than this one. Only in the darkness of the Bush/Cheney years could this gentle spirit be used to scare us. It is time to let in a little light and give Cat a listen again. Maybe Prez O'bama will let him back in the country and we can go see him (Hope!).

"Teaser" and "Tea" are timeless classics and don't forget my personal favorite "Foreigner". Then go get "An Other Cup" from 2006 and enjoy yourself! I bought the deluxe edition which comes with a book and an airport strip search. Tight indeed.