Saturday, September 20, 2008

tight people of the day: louis armstrong and ella fitzgerald



There are certain songs in the world that I feel like people should drop whatever they are doing to listen to. This is one of them. Ella and Louis are not only my dream grandparents, but also beautiful and magical and amazing. How smooth is Ella's voice? It's like butter all over my ciabatta roll. Louis makes me want to get in a Snuggie and sip on some tea while watching the birds.

Absolutely no one is the world sounds like Ella and absolutely no one in the world sounds like Louis. So the fact that these two got together and made albums brings me to tears. It's like sandpaper singing with Ivory soap. But it equals perfection. This song is from the 1956 album Ella and Louis, which was recorded with Buddy Rich on drums. Basically, people entering that studio should have stopped and prayed because that is like going to CHURCH. Seriously. This song was written by the Gershwins, so it totally sucks. Kidding!

I bought this album at Waterloo when I was in college and I have to say, I'm proud of myself. It's been one of the best winter albums ever. I wanted to share it with you because of the recent bit of nice weather we had that reminds me Christmas is just around the corner. Oh, I haven't mentioned I'm obsessed with Christmas? JUST WAIT.

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - They Can't Take That Away From Me

1 comment:

Bucho said...

My Ella Chirstmas Album is my favorite of all time. I listen to it at least 50 times each holiday season. Can't wait!