Saturday, September 20, 2008

super tight cupcakes

I have a thing for cupcakes. We are MFEO. (Made for each other.) Fortch, I live right next to a cupcake stand. I like to walk slowly by the cupcake glass counter at Whole Foods. Little works of art, they are. I love the word "cupcake" because it actually describes exactly what the item is, like toothbrush. Compound words FTW. I also love to bake them and serve them at parties. Can I get a witness from Sissy on this? I'm also counting down the days (currently at 101) until I get to eat the deliciousness that is Magnolia in New York City. Until then, my blood sugar waits.

I found this book at Target the other day. I almost bought it, but realized I needed to buy groceries and had to make Sophie's choice. It's called Hello, Cupcake! which is shockingly similar to Hey Cupcake! by mi casa. However, I wanted to share a few of the items from this book, which are guaranteed to blow your mind. I used to think making cupcakes and frosting them with one letter each to spell out "Happy Birthday" was tricky bidness. I was in for a major sike-out when I saw these.



Um, are we dead serious with these spaghetti and meatball cupcakes? The meatballs are those Ferrer Rocher hazelnut candy balls, the sauce is strawberry jelly, and the noodles are vanilla frosting squeezed through a baggie. These will either give me the runs or satisfaction. Perhaps both? Either way, my brain just exploded from how awesome they look.



I want to bring these out on a platter after a really big steak dinner and people are going to get really confused! Then I laugh! These corn on the cob cupcakes are actually made with white and yellow jelly beans and black sprinkles for the pepper. I believe the butter square is actually a yellow Starburst. I love this idea so much. There is really nothing better than fooling/harassing your dinner guests.



I wish I could find a better picture, but these are "T.V. dinner" cupcakes. Each one is like a section of a old school Swanson dinner. Peas and carrots, chicken drumstick, dessert, and mashed taters. You can't even see the taters, but they do have caramel sauce to resemble brown gravy. How much does this f with your brain? You think you are biting into a pea and carrot ball and are about to cringe in disgust and then it's really chocolate and sugar with a little bit of a crack.



Finally, the mack daddy of them all. Pizza cupcakes. Are we for reals? I would not even want to pull these apart and actually eat them because they look way too tight. The bottom sauce layer is a strawberry fruit roll-up and the cheese is grated white chocolate. I think the other toppings are just chocolate and more roll-ups. I wish Domino's would deliver this to my house in under thirty minutes. Seriously, though, that should be in the Smithsonian.

This post has proven to me that I want to try dramatic and inspirational things with cupcakes, but I would rather sit in front of my computer. I mean, let's venture a guess at how long those corn on the cob cupcakes would take? The baking part is easy, but then I need a steady shooter's hand to lay on each and every one of those jelly beans. Jesus H.! Well, maybe someday when I can tear myself away from the internetz.

1 comment:

Caso said...

WOW can i have cupcakes at my wedding?!?! Seriously!! And Sophie's choice!!!! Hahaha that should be the name of Target. So hilarious.