Tuesday, August 19, 2008

tight people of the day: the kinks



The Kinks are one of those bands that I didn't listen to much until I was in college, and even then I mostly stuck to the basics and the most well-known songs like "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night." Not that there's anything wrong with that. But the catalog is a lot more tight than it appears. Recently, The Kinks had a bit of attention from being used in a Carnival Cruise commercial. Barf. But they were heavily featured on the soundtrack to Darjeeling Limited. While I have mixed emotions about the movie, I truly enjoyed the use of these songs. Wes Anderson always gets that right. In fact, the song I'm sharing with you today was used in Rushmore. Hello, tears, goodbye, presentable face! That movie really gets me.

Anyway, The Kinks are pretty tight fellows. They got big during that crazy British Invasion time period in the sixties when it seemed most of the good music was being made overseas. Oh yeah, another really crappy band came over to America then, too. SIKE! You know who I mean. The Kinks were really driven by a crazy hard guitar sound that was groundbreaking for the time and led faithfully by Ray Davies. Some of their songs are really super tight, but for some reason I feel like I would never know that except for the power of the internetz and iTunes, my boyfriend.

The Kinks - Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worrying About This Girl

No comments: