Friday, June 13, 2008

tight person of the day: aretha franklin



Aretha is a goddess. I pretty much love everything about her, but I have a special fondness for some of her albums from the seventies. I have serious issues with wishing I was this woman. However, that will never ever be, so I have to take comfort in just listening to the queen. These albums are tight because they are some of her last true soul/gospel albums before she switched totally to disco-ish music. I mean, who didn't in those days? The seventies were really an awesome time for most people. We all know how I feel about this decade. Anyway, check out some of these samples. Really, the whole albums are just as good as these songs, I swear it.



Spirit in the Dark - 1970

This album is totally b.a. I love the gospel influence on it. But it's also jazzy and poppy. There really is nothing better than Aretha on a piano. Except maybe Kettle Chips. YES! "Spirit in the Dark" makes me want to put on a robe, join a choir, scream until my nose bleeds, and then run off into the sunset on a magical unicorn. Too much?

Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark




Young, Gifted, and Black - 1971


Basically anything I say about this album is going to sound cheesy and lame because it's truly one of the best albums ever. Soul, soul, soul. I mean, even just the title makes my head spin. So baller. "Rock Steady" is also an extremely tight song that is the perfect summer driving song. This album features Billy Preston on organ and Dr. John on percussion. So...IT SUCKS. Sike.

Aretha Franklin - Day Dreaming

Aretha Franklin - Oh Me Oh My (I'm a Fool for You)




Hey Now Hey (The Other Side of the Sky) - 1973

I only got this album about a year ago, on the suggestion of my dad. It's really baller. The artwork is worth finding it. Fortunately, I was able to get it on vinyl which makes me life complete. But seriously, this album is crazy. Most reviews kinda slam it. But it's still Aretha, so it has to be better than the latest Fall Out Boy AMIRIGHT? I love the song "Angel."

No comments: