Tuesday, May 27, 2008

something old i like #5: the 1970s

Let it be known that I love the 70s. I know, I wasn't born yet. But I came along shortly thereafter. I have referenced this decade many times already in previous posts (read: Match Game). I really have a fondness for the mid to late 60s, too, but the years 1970-1979 are just way too tight to pass up. First of all, every 70s fashion needs to come back. I'm serious. Also we need discos again. Why did these stop? I don't need the excessive cocaine use to come back, but the discos are missed. I want Cher from 1972 back. I mean, I still love Cher, but you know. Here are some things that really need to make a comeback:

1. The Afro

Photobucket

You still see an Afro from time to time, but definitely not as often as you prob would've in 1974. I'm pissed that I can't grow one and I mean that truly. In fact, I say it quite often. I have always wanted to come back in another life as Erykah Badu because I'm jealous of her. The Afro is so amazing. Although I really hate fake Afro wigs for Halloween. I'm talking about the real deal here.

2. Bean Bag Chairs

Photobucket

I know when we were all around 12 or 13 we would've murdered for a bean bag. Well, I still would. I have one in my classroom and it's a huge hit. These days, I feel like bean bags are getting harder and harder to find. Granted, they kill my back and probably cause the early stages of scoliosis but I still want five multi-colored ones in my living room instead of a couch.

3. Lava Lamps

Photobucket

Um, hell yeah. Who doesn't love a good lava lamp? It sets the ambience for any room. Want to get dark and moody? Turn on the l. lamp. Want to turn on the sexy? Well, turn on the LAVA LAMP!! I have a purple one because I wanted one in my middle school colors at the time I purchased it (Scottie Pride forever). Again, another item that is getting harder to find but really enhances any room.

4. Mood Rings

Photobucket

Question: Why did Mood Rings fade out? The other day, a student in my class was wearing one and she knew what all the colors represented and I thought to myself: The children really are our future. Mood rings are so tight, even if they stay one blue shade all the time. One time I had one that really did turn black when I was really angry. Although I was around 14 at the time so I was probably mad because my hair went flat. Who cares if these things really work? The point is, they look baller. And instantly turn any guy into a perv.

5. Waterbeds

Photobucket

I know it's hard to see in that photo, but oh yeah baby, that's a waterbed. In fact, that is the beatuy of a waterbed. It looks like a regular bed, so you start feeling drowsy and climb on for a short snooze. SIKE! It's a rolly and tumbly waterbed and yet another reason to f up your back. My brother had a waterbed when he was in high school and I wonder what the effects are on his back these days. I just remember wanting one really bad, but I couldn't have one. Now I know why. Although they look so tight and swish around like the wave pool at Schlitterbahn, which makes me think of summer, and therefore is tight. Talk about the true stamp of a swinger.

I know you can still get a lot of this crap online, but I just want to complain about something. Long live the 70s!

1 comment:

cybulski said...

ive slept on a waterbed and i must say nothing has happened worse to my spine since.

ha mood rings.