Thursday, May 1, 2008

embrace your flyness, get over your shyness

Photobucket

KANYE!! Yeah, we went. We walked in after Lupe Fiasco had started. I looked out to see how many (in the words of my co-worker Kat) "cool moms" were there. You know what I'm talking about. Also, I realized I know nothing about Lupe Fiasco or any songs that were sung by the fourteen people on stage.

N.E.R.D. was pretty tight. I would do anything to have Pharrell over for a Bluebonnet Lane house party. I would put on Larry Levan and have him dance the crap out of it. Also I would kill to see him eating Kettle Chips and a glass of Fanta that I say is really Smithwick's fine draft beer. ROFL!

Rihanna was kind of sick. I'm not going to lie, she is a gorgeous goddess. But her dance moves were a little nasty nast. She touched herself a lot. She seemed to be doing a lot of leaning back, like she couldn't bend her knees that well. Oh, that's right, she was wearing 10-inch heels for most of her set. She has a pretty good voice, but once again, I don't really know anything about her except that I read fashion blogs and I keep up with her ever-changing hair. I'm not sad about this, really.

We watched from our extremely high nose-bleed seats as close to 483 roadies set up for Kanye's set. Yes, the stage is unreal and huge. Yes, Kanye was by himself the entire time, but he's still a baller. I mean, who comes out and does a show totally alone and keeps my interest? That's pretty tight. He did a great job of weaving songs together in a classic Joseph Campbell archetypal hero journey story. I have to say I got a little misty at the "Hey Mama" section of the night. I think the audience was moved. One of my favorite parts of the night was also watching every single white person in the audience rock out to that little section of "Don't Stop Believin'" that was played.

I couldn't get very many good pics of Kanye's set, but I hope the one above at least shows you the scope of the stage. Also, here is Chaps ruining a pretty good picture. She bought a $5 cotton candy, which proceeded to make me fussy because I couldn't wait to wash my hands. But if you have to get cotton candy at the Erwin Center, don't you? I feel like it's a general requirement, like getting a meningitis shot before college.

Photobucket

Also, here's a pic of Chaps and I "fake driving," which is also a requirement in life, especially when any song with a good beat comes on or any song by Glass Candy. Please ignore my questionable face. Give me a break because I'm FAKE DRIVIN'! Check out a few more pics on my Flickr.

Photobucket

No comments: