Friday, April 22, 2011

tight person of the day: annette hanshaw



Oh, Annette. I love this lady so much. She is my go-to musical choice when folding laundry and putting said laundry away in drawers. When I listen to her sing, I feel transported. I want a flapper haircut and some kitten heels and some Prohibition alcohol.

At the end of every song she sings, Annette cheekily says "That's all!" This kills me for some reason. When I first got some of her stuff, I would listen for the finale send-off to every song like a dog waiting for a whistle. She is precious.

Annette was doing her jazzy thang in the twenties, y'all. She recorded into the thirties, but then gave up show business completely to start a family. She walked away from being a supremely popular singer at the time. She was working and living in Manhattan and was pretty well known. In 2008, Annette was rediscovered (and discovered by me) when artist Nina Paley used many of her songs for her animated telling of the Ramayana in Sita Sings the Blues. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY THE WAY.)

I just love her sweet and tender voice. I hope you enjoy it while sipping on a Pimm's Cup. Happy Almost Summer to you all!

Annette Hanshaw - Daddy Won't You Please Come Home?

1 comment:

valentinadahler said...

Titanium White octane | tithroid's anatomy
The body has been pure titanium earrings in the titanium dive knife process titanium grinder of development over many years, urban titanium metallic with its unique shape, This is the same material that forms the apple watch titanium Titanium White.