Saturday, October 31, 2009

halloween music edition #2

Happy Halloween! The day is here. Last night I attended a successful movie night, where 28 Days Later and then Blair Witch Project both made an appearance. It brought back fond memories of seeing Blair Witch at Dobie when it had just come out and I was in high school. I remember some guy sneezed into his popcorn at a pivotal scene and the p. corn flew EVERYWHERE and I pretty much shit my pants.

I'm excited about dressing up tonight but it's weird how there was a period when dressing up was awesome, then lame and embarrassing, then lame and boring, and now somewhat awesome again in the right setting. Have fun tonight, whatever you do. Don't hand out any Mounds, those things are gross.




To celebrate this eventful day, I have selected the craziest representation of Halloween I could think to show you. Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Let's not play. This is one crazy mf-er right here. I mean, he actually performed a song in his shows called "Constipation Blues." I really don't need to say anything else.

Jalacy Hawkins (already a baller with that name) became Screamin' Jay in the fifties, when he started recording songs. His biggest hit is from 1956 with "I Put a Spell on You." Legend states that he wanted this song to be a ballad, hence the slow and deliberate music you hear in the background. But guess what? Everyone in the band, including Jay, got totally wasted and recorded it in a near-blacked out state. Jay is beyond inebriated while he's singing, but it actually works in his favor. He grunts and moans and shouts and giggles and it sounds totally tight and makes the lyrics darker and tighter, in my opinion. I'm sure this song would've been awesome as a ballad, but we wouldn't have been blessed with this gem had Jay not wanted some libations on that fateful day.

Perfect song for Halloween. Little bit spooky, little bit crazy. Get you some and be safe tonight, playas.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put a Spell on You

No comments: