Tuesday, February 24, 2009

tight people of the day: simon and garfunkel



First of all, doesn't someone need to tell Art Garfunkel that those Ray-Bans are SO OVER? Kidding. Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel make up the big hit-making team of the sixties known as Simon and Garfunkel. I have had a lot of really sad moments to their songs. Also, they are definitely one of my "red-light" bands aka me driving home at 3am when the traffic lights are flashing and I am trying to recall if I put my foot in my mouth during the course of that night (the answer is usually yes). The point is (and I do have one) that this group is perfect for those moments when you are feeling a bit reflective.

Paul and Art met when they were kids and formed a band called Tom and Jerry. How tight is that? They had some mild success with a debut album, but weren't truly the success we know today until they were featured big time on the soundtrack to The Graduate. PLASTICS. They were pretty much instantly famous after this. I have been known to whistle "Mrs. Robinson" like thirty times a day.

One of their biggest albums, Bridge Over Troubled Water, came out in 1970. It featured heavy hitters, also known as songs that make me well up on the spot. Songs such as "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "The Boxer" are special gems to me. However, I think my favorite S&G song of all time is the one I am sharing today. I challenge you to find a more beautiful song! I love it so much. I've listened to it while crying and stuffing Cheez-its in my mouth, while driving home alone and contemplating my life, and while sitting on my balcony watching a sunset. I hope you enjoyed that sap sandwich I just made you, but I'm being frrl right now. It's so pretty. Their voices are like butter. One of the best things Zach Braff ever did was include this song in his movie Garden State. Too bad the rest of the movie couldn't be saved. MOVIE CRITIC ALERT.

After this album, the old friends parted. However, we all know Paul Simon went on to have a pretty tight career making music videos with Chevy Chase. DOY: I know he did other stuff, too. Garfunkel made some sweet ass red-headed babies. And of course, they have patched things up and toured together again.

Enjoy this tune and listen with your eyes closed and your mind open!

Simon and Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy in New York

No comments: