Saturday, December 13, 2008

christmas series #1: brook benton



Oh hey! It's just me, Brook Benton! I'm leaning on a chair and smiling. Beneath my smile, I'm saying, "Merry Christmas!"

What a baller. I love this song and it's my first of the "Christmas Series" on Is This Tight. My obsession with Christmas does include music, as well. This is one of my favorites. Nothing like a soul Christmas song to keep you in the mood. Here's the deal. Brook Benton is definitely a soul and R&B singer that was fairly popular in the early sixties. Before this, he was a songwriter that had mild success writing songs for people like Nat King Cole. Ain't no bidness like show bidness! After charting dozens of singles, Brook released "Soul Santa" in 1971. This song is one of the tightest things to put on wax! It's totally brill, because it suggests what Christmas would be like if Santa happened to be a black dude. However, no matter what, Santa really does have SOUL. I love this. This song never charted and I could kinda see why, I guess. People aren't ready to consider this option. Also, people can't sit still long enough to actually listen to some good silk in their ear holes. Take my advice and lap this up. You won't be disappointed!

This song is also helping to bring me out of my stomach flu 2008. Yes, I have been turned upside down by some bug, and this explains my lack of posting. But I'm back! 200GREAT!

Brook Benton - Soul Santa

No comments: