Tuesday, December 2, 2008

tight people of the day: the isley brothers



Hold up! Are you in a dancing mood? I know I am. Time for some Isley goodness. I really don't think it gets any better than that picture right there. When those guys put their platforms on, the h is o. The Isley Brothers are a really tight group because if you asked me what kind of music they perform, I would have trouble giving you one straight answer. I mean, they are like a sweet and delicious pie with a soul, funk, and R&B filling. The best filling there is! I have some Isley Brothers on vinyl and it plays like silk. You know!

The band started with four brothers singing gospel in 1954. From there, various line-up and sound changes happened. They recorded some hits for Motown and eventually settled into their sound with the release of "It's Your Thing" in 1969. This song is so tight! It's probably played at every wedding in America, but I don't give an f! I want it played in my living room for a dance party. This song is fun at any age, and you certainly can't say that for many songs or bands these days. Fall Out Boy, can you hear me? Obviously, people are still Isley-hungry because they have been sampled countless times.

Interesting trivia fact: I read that Jimi Hendrix was a back-up geetah player for them for a while. Loves it. Also, one of the brothers is in prison. When is the TV movie coming out? I will watch that with a big glass of my medicine and a tear in my eye.

The Isley Brothers - It's Your Thing

No comments: