Monday, November 3, 2008

tight person of the day: johnny rivers



I was strolling the 50% off Halloween candy at Walgreens the other day and over the speakers came a tasty treat not for my mouth but for my EARHOLES. Some genius at the Walgreens Mix Tape Center got smart and included Johnny Rivers singing "Whiter Shade of Pale." Never have I wanted to buy strawberry cream pumpkin candy, tons of CoverGirl make-up, and a Frappuccino in the bottle more. (Love you, Walgreens.)

Johnny Rivers reminds me of a little leprechaun. But not the kind that will kill you in a freakishly bad horror movie. The cute kind that will show you the pot of gold and then dance around in a meadow with you. Johnny Rivers is widely loved by the entire Roch family, and for good reason. His album Realization is the perfect culmination of rock and folk and true blue songwriting. Basically, you wouldn't understand how many good tracks are on that album.

Johnny started his career being a little folksy, then got a little rockalicious, then got a little psychedelic town. Either way, I still love me some Johnny. He is also quite well known for singing "Secret Agent Man" from the show of the same name. Also my dad's personal theme song? Can I get a witness from Paul on this?

Anyway, this song is really amazing and after you listen to it, you will be a liar and practically dead to me if you say you aren't moved. Look, everyone needs to believe in something, so I'll believe I'll have another drink. Kidding! I believe that you should let the power of music take over your life. If you haven't done that already, we need to talk.

Johnny Rivers - Whiter Shade of Pale

3 comments:

Daddy-O said...

Tell it Sister Anna! Will somebody give me a "The Way We Live"?

Daddy-O said...

On further more somber (or perhaps sober) reflection, I would add that Realization is a significant album in that it was perfect for its time and yet continues to be relevant 40 years later - both musically and message-wise. I've owned it in every available format beginning with 8-track tapes. It should be in your collection.

Johnny Rivers is definitely tight.

Mrs. Graham said...

Secret Agent Man and Midnight Special were 2 of my favorite songs growing up. Thanks for reminding me of some very groovy tunes.
Tommie