Saturday, November 15, 2008

tight person of the day: dee dee warwick



Man, I'm on a roll with the female tightness lately! I think most of us are semi-familiar with Dee Dee's more famous sister, Dionne Warwick. I mean, I think Dionne last appeared on stage with Whitney Houston after Whitney said she was off the crack. Anyway, Dee Dee is a great singer in her own right. This is truly a song of lament but somehow I still want to snap along to it in slow motion.

Dee Dee (can I have this name please?) was singing gospel in New Jersey before going solo in 1965. She had a string of mild chart toppers throughout the sixties, but mostly gained a reputation as a talented vocalist. Homegirl was still working and singing her little booty off in 2006, when she sang back-up for her big sissy Dionne. Dee Dee recently passed away and went to the great gig in the sky in October of this year. I know if I ever get to a place in the sky, I would love to have Dee Dee waiting to serenade me.

The song I am sharing with you today was recorded in 1970. It's quite sad, actually, when you stop and listen to the lyrics, but I'm obsessed with that talk-talk-talk-talkinnnn part. You'll know what I'm talking about in a few download minutes! We could all use a good break-up song sometimes! I also think this a good song for a winter mix. As you know, cold is coming! I had to totally hold myself back from posting a Christmas song today, but then I remembered I have the whole beautiful month of December to indulge.

Also, shout outs to all those who listened to my dumb ass on the radio. Thanks to Josh again for the invite and thanks for telling me I sounded good even though I probably made cats howl in alleys.

Dee Dee Warwick - She Didn't Know

No comments: