Sunday, November 23, 2008

tight person of the day: alton ellis



Alton sees you! He's staring into your soul. I was first introduced to Alton from Bob Dylan's radio show. He used a Christmas song Alton did on his show. I flipped out and had to know more. This song will get stuck in your head but it's better than having the llama song invading your brain cells.

Alton Ellis is from Jamaica and is a huge baller. Mostly, he is known as being an innovator of rocksteady music. He was one of the first to actually call it "rocksteady" in a song and led the movement away from ska in the 1960s. He is often called the Godfather of Rocksteady. Holla! Alton has been sampled out the ass, so you might have even heard him before WITHOUT KNOWING IT. Also, I read that he has over twenty children. Damn! Working overtime on that.

Sadly, Alton lost a battle with cancer and passed away in October. He was only 70. That is too young for me. I hope he has a blast in the great gig in the sky making music for eternity. I hope you enjoy this little Alton ditty and maybe pour one out for him sometime soon. I think he might appreciate that.

Alton Ellis - I'm Still in Love With You

No comments: