Wednesday, November 19, 2008

tight people of the day: breakwater



Before I get into anything else, I need to discuss some things about the above picture. Um, where do I start? My mind is exploding. First, the seahorse next to Breakwater. I'm five seconds from getting that tattooed on my forehead. Next, the BOOTZ. Are we dead serious right now? They are like rain boots, but also a massive moon boot. I have never seen anything like that. I'm secretly hoping the band walked in a Payless and was like, "Excuse me, do you have eight pairs of bright lemon yellow planetary future boots for our band?" How tight is that? Every band should play in those.

Moving on. Oh my lawd! This song rules my life. I was just listening to my iTunes, which I have mentioned before is my true one and only love. iTunes always knows what I want! It went from some delicious Sam Cooke straight into THIS! I will never forget when we were driving somewhere with Blake and Chappy put this on and his whole life changed. Can I get a witness from Bucho on this? He started moving his head to the beat in such a way that would make angels sing.

Breakwater is a funk band from Philly. You know a band is good when their name is a ridiculous compound word AND they have a band member named Love Gilmore. Haters to da left! "Release the Beast" should be played at every high school graduation, every anniversary party, every funeral. People would flip and just drop everything and start dancing. From young to old, no one can resist the funk of this tune. Supposedly, this song is the major antithesis of what Breakwater was really all about, which was apparently "slow jams." LOL. However, I'm glad someone threw this out there and turned up the funk. Daft Punk also sampled this song at one time, so you might recognize the beat from that. Either way, it's super tight and deserves a place at your next dance party. Release it!

Breakwater - Release the Beast