Sunday, October 26, 2008

tight people of the day: the moody blues



I'm going to bring the honesty for a sec and say that I don't know much at all about the Moody Blues. In fact, I can't say I had ever heard another song of theirs when I first listened to "Nights in White Satin." All I do know, however, is that this is one hell of a tight song AND I want to listen to it with the windows down and the volume up. Would that be tight or weird? You be the judge after a listen.

The Moody Blues are particularly well known for blending a classical music sound with rock. Would we venture to call them prog rock? Perhaps. Also, some of their songs need a huge sign that says, "Welcome to Reverb City." I love it! There are also huge psychedelic elements in some songs. The band hails from England, however this song I am sharing with you today with their most massive U.S. hit and for good reason. Honestly, I can't think of a better way to express yourself than to wail "I Love You" over a sea of screaming voices, drums, flutes, violins, and other shit. I want to walk down the aisle to this. Awk or tight? Wait, I don't care. I can do whatever I want at my wedding. I'm walking down the aisle to this.

Singer Justin Hayward wrote this song when he was 19, which makes me want to take a good hard look at what I've done with my life. Man, this kid was really feeling some things. Heavy. To all the ladies in the house: can you imagine having a song like this written about you? Wowsville.

The bottom line: if you want to sing along to a song so hard and long that your nose will probably start bleeding, this is the one. I mean it, too. It's like almost eight minutes long. It's so super tight.

The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

1 comment:

Megan Hamilton said...

next time we're 2gether, we will have a m. blues listening party. let me tell you how i got through age 17 - THE MOODY BLUES. give melancholy man a lis. 2sday afternoon. ride my c-saw. srsly. <3 u. xoxo