Monday, October 20, 2008

tight people of the day: the four tops



I simply cannot tell you how much I adore the use of fancy footwork by groups like the Four Tops. These guys could do magic with their twinkle toes and one microphone! And in slim cut suits, no less. I wish more people wore suits on stage these days. Look, it's all about me, not the comfort of the performers. Anyway, I just ate a Lean Pocket and I'm feeling the glow of a delicious combination of four cheeses in a reduced fat crust pouch. I just can't help but love on that picture right about now!

I've selected the Four Tops for coupla reasons. One: they are ballers. Two: the main lead singer, Levi Stubbs, passed away last week. So many of us know Levi's voice, but maybe just don't realize it. I feel like Levi's voice is one of those unique univeral voices that will get a toddler and a pepaw and a mean old tax collector all dancing and singing. I mean, I feel like I know every word to every Four Tops song Levi ever recorded. THE POWER OF MUSIC. RIP Levi, and enjoy the great gig in the sky.

Here's the deal. This is the pure Motown sound. This is it. There are amazing shades of soul, disco, jazz, doo-wop. I mean, this group has it all. The Four Tops could be played at any event and people would leave happy. This group had a major amount of hits, mostly provided by the big cheeses Holland-Dozier-Holland. Who wouldn't want songs written for them by those badasses? Frrl. Once again, I'm left crying into my pillow that I wasn't alive during this time so I could move to Detroit, find Berry Gordy, and try to make it. Maybe in my next life, America.

Here is a Four Tops treat from 1973. I have a serious love relationship with all of their songs from the sixties, too.

Four Tops - Ain't No Woman (Like The One I've Got)

No comments: