Wednesday, August 6, 2008

tight person of the day: john prine



John Prine is a nice little folk singer that has been around since the seventies. John Prine is a great storyteller, but more than anything his songs make me feel like I'm swimming in a giant mug of hot chocolate. I feel like John is one of those rare musicians that most anyone can appreciate. Like, if you don't cry to some of these songs, there is no hope for you in this world. Anyone can use a little Prine whether they are sitting on the porch, driving on a road trip, or just making dinner. Also, Christmas truly wouldn't be complete without a little John Prine Christmas album. I'm serious. I've been fortunate to see John Prine several times, most recently at ACL Fest 2005. I was far away but it was still tight. Also big ups to my parents for taking me to see him many years ago, when I probably didn't appreciate it, but now I do.

I don't have "Far From Me" for you to download, sowwy, but I encourage you to check it out. Prine himself said it was the favorite of all of his songs. It also contains some of my favorite lyrics of all time, such as "Why we used to laugh together/And we'd dance to any old song/Well, ya know, she still laughs with me/But she waits just a second to long." COULDN'T YOU JUST DIE. Oh, and "Well, a question ain't really a question/If you know the answer too." I just passed out. I didn't mean to turn this into a John Prine lyrics session, but seriously.

In short, Prine has produced some of the most heartfelt and sensitive songs of all time. Some might compare him to Dylan, but I think he's in a class all his own. I need fifty tissues now to take care of this crying problem from making this post. John has even beat throat cancer! I mean, what a huge baller.

John Prine - Donald & Lydia

John Prine - Hello in There

1 comment:

Caso said...

I didn't know you were down with John Prine. He is awesome. Only concert i've been to at the paramount where i saw (and smelt) people.........people smoking weed that is. --this is jared by the way. I was to lazy to log out and log back.