Monday, August 4, 2008

tight person of the day: elton john (honky chateau era)



Elton John put out an album in 1972 called Honky Chateau. This album is so special to me for some reason. Also Elton is ready to cut a bitch in that photo. Elton and his writing partner Bernie Taupin truly outdid themselves on this one. A few of these songs on here are my "stop light songs." This means they are the perfect songs to listen to when the stop lights are blinking red, you are coming home from Sugar's (sike), and it's 3 am. One song in particular, "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters," is a stop light song but also a crying song BIG TIME. This is the album that also features "Rocket Man" which I know every dude has sung in the shower at some point, don't lie. So I picked two songs from this album that I really love. Of course, "Mona Lisas." But also another song, called "Salvation." When it first starts, it appears cheesy but it just builds and I want to put on a choir robe and stand on my balcony and sing to the streets. Maybe someday I really will do that, and we will have a whole new post. Salvation keeps the hungry children fed! Thanks, Bernie and Elton.

Elton John - Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters

Elton John - Salvation

Also, a huge Is This Tight? shout-out to Ryan Griffin, who is a loyal reader and whose warm and welcoming high-five will never be forgotten.

No comments: