Wednesday, August 20, 2008

tight people of the day: sharon jones and the dap-kings



Well, here it is. What we've all been waiting for. The only thing better than seeing Sharon Jones on the stage is breathing. Yeah, I said it. Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings make some of the funkiest, sickest, baddest, and tightest music of all time.

I've seen Sharon and the Dap-Kings three times now and they just get better and better. You better believe I'm even debating a one day ACL pass just to see these badasses! If you haven't seen Sharon live, forget all that crap about "the birth of my first child was the best moment of my life" or "graduating from college is the most important thing to me" because after you see SJ, your statement will be, "That was the greatest thing I have ever done!" Your mission will just be to get more and more. This I can guarantee. p.s. I took that picture in January at the Antone's show. How tight?

Sharon entered my life in 2005, when I was on the streets. SIKE, but still, I was just really getting into learning about soul and listening to a lot of different music than just the Weezer/Jimmy Eat World/Dashboard Confessional train I rode in high school. (You are lying if you say you didn't listen to a Jimmy Eat World album while crying over a high school crush at some point. No? Well, shove it.) This band's music changed my life. It makes you feel so dang good, and I feel like a part of when music was great and at huge heights. Seeing this band live is like being transported to another place and time. They also pretty much use all analog equipment for recording, which makes me want to dance down South Congress.

I would also like to point out that Sharon once worked a prison guard. Day-um! Sharon knows what's up. I also feel like she could just lay her hands on me and I would be cured of any ailment. Who's with me?

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - How Long Do I Have To Wait?

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Nobody's Baby

No comments: