Thursday, July 17, 2008

something old i like #6: calvin and hobbes



Now, I realize Calvin and Hobbes isn't THAT old, but it did start in 1985, which means it's been around for a while and I love it. I have a couple of Calvin and Hobbes anthologies that I used to pore over as a kid and I have no shame about it. I used to pretend that all my stuffed animals were alive only to me. Nerd alert! If you aren't familiar with Calvin and Hobbes, then shame on you. Kidding! It's a comic strip created by the baller Bill Watterson. Calvin is a little turd, a nutcase kid who loves to track dirt on the carpet. Hobbes is his stuffed tiger toy, however, he appears real only to Calvin. They have conversations and play games and perform drug deals together. No, but still, they have a lot of fun. My favorite character is Miss Wormwood, Calvin's teacher. What a slut! Later in life, I realized she was probably a huge alcoholic and more than likely hated her job, but at the time I didn't know.



One of the things I always liked about C&H was that it never got too heavy for me to read. I didn't feel like I was dealing with office life/depression as in Dilbert and I didn't have to get too highly confused/agitated like with Doonesbury. Sometimes Calvin and Hobbes tried to make a point, but never threw it my face. I appreciate that. You might think there a million comics better than C&H, and that's ok. There is nothing as fun as being a kid and opening the Sunday paper and reading the big color comics. I loved seeing what Calvin and Hobbes would be up to that day.



Click above for an enlarged image of the last Calvin and Hobbes comic strip ever. Get the tissues ready.

2 comments:

jared said...

awesome

Megan Hamilton said...

couple of things...
1. it's a bit weird for me that calvin and hobbes is now "old". but i'm getting over it.
2. every couple of years i re-read the entire c&h catalogue (i own the original compilations - could not WAIT to get one every x-mas) - and it's amazing how they're still relevant and make me feel like i want to hug the world.