Thursday, July 24, 2008

olympic mascot

I feel like the Olympics just happened. But then I realized that last time the summer Olympics took place I was in a hotel room in Port Aransas. Wait a minute! Some things never change. Seriously, though, this year's games snuck up on me. Four years ago I was in college, making $8 a hour coaching volleyball and cheerleading for kids (!!!), and had barely met many of the people who are my best friends now. Well, this isn't supposed to be a post about my life, so let's get to it. I was reading about the new Beijing Olympic mascot the other day and it totally blows.



I just think that's weird. I get the five creatures are the five rings and blah blah, but WHY? Lame. How basic and expected to have a panda? I'm bored. Apparently, even the mascot artist hates it. Dramz!

So, this mascot sucks, but look at these other Olympic mascots! Some of these are really tight.


Are we serious with a weiner dog mascot? The colors suck and I don't know why this was chosen to represent the 1972 Munich Olympic games, but still. Tight. His name is Waldi. How cute! I must admit I'm super curious about the thought process behind choosing a ween. I want to be in that conference room when a group of dudes sat around and decided that for the very first mascot, only a daschund would do. I like where their heads were at.




Now this is what I'm talking about. A beaver mascot! Look how haphazardly that Olympic banner is tied around his tum tum! I'm pissed slash happy that this was chosen for the 1976 Montreal games. I mean, it makes sense to have a beaver for a Canadian Olympics, I suppose. And beavs are badasses that work non-stop, so it can truly represent the diligence of all the athletes. All of this makes perfect sense to me. I just wish it didn't look so terribly shitty. I cut that out of felt with some first grade scissors that need to be sharpened. Is this the best they could do? This also looks suspiciously looks like a turtle on first glance. But I've also already had two gin and tonics, so maybe that's why. SIKE slash I'll let you decide if I'm kidding or not.


You guys. I don't even know where to start. Obvi, this is the mascot made for the 2004 Athens games. A little ghey, if you ask me. These two wacky characters are supposed to be a fun-loving brother and sister team. Who let them outside barefoot like that? If I were their mother, they would be kept locked up. Awful. At least give the girl some eyelashes or earrings or something! I'm so mad at where the circle thingies are placed on her shirt, too. I mean, do we really need to do that? OH WAIT, yes we do, because I can't tell if that is a female or a lump of bread dough.


Of course I will tune in to the games. I love a lot of the summer events. I also love that they have provided me with opportunities to complain, which is my favorite hobby. I should create an event for bitching, because I would win a gold medal, canigetawitness?

3 comments:

Bucho said...

I'm super proud of this post...and the pandas are totes lame.

Mrs. Graham said...

How could you forget Izzy, by far the WORST Olympic mascot of all time? That thing absolutely gives me the creeps? At least the lame panda makes sense.
Tommie

Sissy Emmons Hobizal said...

Okay I'm giving a shout out to the Dachshund! But not just the dachshund, he was designed by Otl Aicher who is basically the GOD of graphic design-he invented what may be poorly referrec to as the "crosswalk guy" for the olympic signage that year as well, those characters have eternally been ripped off for shitty signs all over the world:

http://media.dwellmag.com/images/otl_aicher.jpg

Also-serious about Izzy, an animated Torch? Are we dead? And I am when I say my grandmother bought us a beach towel with Izzy on it.