Thursday, June 19, 2008

tight person of the day: sam cooke



HELLO! Does this need an explanation? I think not. Sam is it. His look, his sound, his syrup on my pancakes voice. Sam is perfect for those summer evenings right before the sun goes down. One of the very few artists that can literally bring me to tears. My freshman year at UT, I took a class called "History of Rock and Roll." Gawd only knows how I got into this class, as it was mostly intended for upper division kiddos. Anyway, it traced rock music way, way back and then we analyzed its development from around 1950. Sam Cooke was a big part of this "history" side of this class. My professor turned off the lights and made everyone close their eyes and played an old Sam Cooke gospel song called "Touch the Hem of His Garment" and just didn't say a word. That is one of my favorite college memories ever. I then played it nonstop off my shitty DELL and probably irritated my roommate beyond belief. But who cares. I was still learning. Here's some Sam to help you stretch out those summer nights even longer. A true gift to this world and I'm dead serious.

Sam Cooke - Cupid

Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home To Me

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now THAT'S a great recollection! Sam has touched many lives over the years, yet I never tire of hearing new "Sam" stories.

Even if you were the only one in the class to feel the magic of "Touch the Hem of His Garment" (which I doubt you were!), Sam's voice has the ability to make you see music in a whole new light. Your professor knew the power of that magic, and it sounds like your eyes were "opened" that day...despite the fact they were closed!


Erik Greene
Author, “Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family's Perspective”
www.OurUncleSam.com

Ro said...

i'm honored to have you comment on this lil blog. thank you very much.