Saturday, June 21, 2008

movies i would drop anything to watch #5: the last waltz








You all knew this was bound to happen. I have been obsessed with this rock movie from the very moment I saw it. I mean, it shouldn't be shocking as The Band is in my top five. For about two years, I forced everyone around me to watch this movie. Chaps got on board, but I remember popping it in many times during a previous relash and he kept folding laundry while it was on. That should've been a sign. ANYWAY, coming home from NYC recently this was on the Vh1 Classic channel and I screamed thank gawd for JetBlue. Now I can say I watched this movie IN THE SKY. This movie is amazing. Once I read Levon's book, I had a slightly different perspective on the whole thing, but still.

It's about THE BAND and their final concert, directed by Eyebrows Scorsese. Lots of guests came out to help them "take it home." Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton, The Hawk, Neil Young, Dr. John, Muddy Waters, and of course Robert Zimmerman himself. However, sometimes I have to admit I skip through the Neil Diamond segment even though I have serious love for Neil Diamond. It doesn't feel entirely right to me. Once again, after reading Levon's book, that part made a bit more sense. The version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is one of the best things captured on film. And all those badasses on stage singing "I Shall Be Released." Are we kidding with that?



All I really know is how thankful I am that this was filmed and made for audiences. This movie fills me with a calmness and happiness I truly can't describe. I love it to to bits and I love watching these amazing musicians who left it all on the stage. There should be way more footage of Richard Manuel, though. What a badass. P.S. Allen Toussaint arranged the horns for this concert, so guess what...THEY SOUND SUCKY. Just kidding. He's a baller.

Here my favorite songs from the movie, mp3 style, followed by a clip from the movie of the song so we can all join hands and take a sip from the fountain of excitement.

The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (The Last Waltz)




The Band - It Makes No Difference (The Last Waltz)

1 comment:

WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi Anna,

On behalf of Exile Productions and Exile Publishing, many thanks for plugging Van Morrison and, if you / your readers want good quality, non-pirated, preview tracks from Van’s new album – “Keep It Simple” - full versions of "That's Entrainment" and "Behind The Ritual" (along with album track samplers) are available for fans and bloggers to link on Lost Highway's web-site at http://www.losthighwayrecords.com .

Up-to-the-minute info on Keep It Simple and Van’s 2008 shows is, of course, also available on www.vanmorrison.com and www.myspace.com/vanmorrison and, for a limited period, you can still hear Van's exclusive BBC concert at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_aod.shtml?radio2/r2_vanmorrison and you can also see his BBC sessions at http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/vanmorrison/video/ .

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF