Wednesday, June 18, 2008

BIG WILLIE STYLE

Today for our blog, I thought I would create what will eventually be considered a "classic" post. I think we all need to make more posts about people who we feel should be labeled "Genius 2k8." I think the first person I'm nominating is an obvious choice.


Yes, I am speaking of the great poet, Will Smith. To prove that Will Smith is a microphone genius, I'd like to take a look back at the original samples that inspired Will to make his greatest works, most of which are found on the hit CD Big Willie Style.

Sampled for Gettin' Jiggy Wit It:
He's The Greatest Dancer - Sister Sledge



Sampled for Miami:
And The Beat Goes On - The Whipsers
(Warning: After watching this video, symptoms might occour such as a Badass Attack, due to viewing some of the greatest choreography of all time)



Just the Two of Us - Bill Withers, as performed by Grover Washington, Jr.



Sampled for Men In Black:
Forget Me Nots - Patrice Rushen




Honorable mentions: Will 2k samples Rock the Casbah by The Clash, Wild Wild West samples I Wish by Stevie Wonder

The Fall From Grace

Oh Will Smith, you are the genius of our time, you make Robert Frost look like a toddler, but you fell to your low point as exhibited by your theme for Men In Black II, Black Suits Comin' (Nod Ya Head):



What kind of greenscreen clusterfuck situation is happening in this video?

Praise me, y'all, don't nothin' phaze me, y'all...

Maybe it's not so bad now that I'm really giving it a listen. But Will Smith tried to get edgy, P. Diddy style. Except the major difference was, P. Diddy gave Jimmy Page a call.


P.S. Honestly, Patrice Rushen deserves an entire post. That song is so badass.

2 comments:

EGriff said...

this is an excellent post. one of the best.

Ro said...

honestly, i need years to let my brain absorb all that